Under the provisions of the Catastrophic Leave Donation Program, employees may donate sick leave or vacation credits to another CSU employee on the same campus, who has exhausted his/her accrued leave credits (i.e., sick, vacation, and CTO leave credits). Donated leave credits will be used to cover the employee's absence due to a catastrophic illness/injury which has totally incapacitated the employee from work.
List of Current Employees Authorized to Receive Donations
Employees may donate vacation and/or sick leave credits in one-hour increments to Cal Poly Pomona employees authorized to receive donations under the Catastrophic Leave Donation Program. The following is a list of the maximum number of hours an employee may donate per fiscal year (July 1 through June 30), regardless of the bargaining unit of the recipient(s):
||Maximum Number of Hours Employee May Donate Per Fiscal Year
|Unit 1 (Physicians)
|Unit 2, 5, 7 & 9 (CSUEU)
|Unit 3 (Faculty & Librarians)
|Unit 4 (APC)
|Unit 6 (SETC)
|Unit 8 (SUPA)
|Unit 11 (UAW)
|Executive (M98), Management Personnel Plan (MPP) (M80), Confidential (C99), and eligible employees in Excluded (E99) classifications
Donation forms are available in HR/Payroll Services-Customer Service (98-B1-20).
A catastrophic illness/injury is one which has totally incapacitated the employee from work and the nature of the illness/injury must be catastrophic. Chronic conditions such as cancer, AIDS, and residual effects of a stroke, may also be considered catastrophic, even if the condition results in only intermittent absences.
Conditions that are short-term in nature, such as colds, flu, or minor injuries, are generally not deemed catastrophic.
This program also includes incapacitating conditions of immediate family members when the employee must take an extended period of time off work to care for the family member.
Requests for participation will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Eligibility to Participate:
- Any Cal Poly Pomona employee who accrues vacation and/or sick leave credits may receive donations if he/she has a catastrophic illness or injury and has exhausted all CTO, vacation, the personal holiday, and sick leave available for use during the absence. The employee, or his/her representative, must request participation in writing by completing the attached Catastrophic Leave Participation Request Form and must provide the appropriate medical certification of the illness or injury.
- To be eligible for Catastrophic Leave, the following requirements must be satisfied:
- The illness or injury must be totally incapacitating and expected to last more than 15 calendar days, and verification from a healthcare provider must be provided;
- If eligible for a disability benefit such as Non-Industrial Disability Insurance (NDI), Industrial Disability Leave (IDL), or Temporary Disability (TD) benefits, the employee may not at his/her option waive such benefit and still apply for catastrophic leave donations. Catastrophic Leave is intended to supplement disability benefits for which the employee is eligible.
- The employee must exhaust all accrued sick, vacation, personal holiday, and CTO leave credits; and
- The employee must complete a Leave of Absence Application.
Individual solicitations must be requested and conducted for each disabled employee.
- The HR/Payroll Leave Coordinator will verify an employee's eligibility and, with the employee's approval, notify the campus community of the employee's need for donated leave. Notification will be through PolyCentric, Cal Poly Pomona's daily E-Magazine, and through the posting of the employee's name on the HR/Payroll bulletin board (located on the ground floor of the CLA Building 98).
- In addition, the employee may authorize a representative to solicit leave credit donations from campus employees on their behalf. This may include a co-worker, union representative, friend, and/or family member.
Donation of Leave Credits:
- Sick leave and vacation credits may be donated in the case of an employee's catastrophic illness/injury. Only vacation credits may be donated in the case of catastrophic leave for family care.
- Credits may be donated in one-hour increments. The maximum number of hours that can be donated per fiscal year (July 1 through June 30) is determined by the applicable Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) for the donating employee. Executive, Management Personnel Plan (MPP), Confidential, and eligible employees in Excluded (E99) classifications may donate up to 40 hours of leave credits per fiscal year.
- Donations are irrevocable once posted to the recipient's leave record.
- Employees wishing to donate leave credits may do so at HR/Payroll Services-Customer Service, CLA Building 98, Room B1-20.
Use of Donated Leave Credits:
- The total donated leave credits shall normally not exceed an amount necessary to continue the employee for three months, calculated from the first day of catastrophic leave use. The President or his designee may approve an additional three-month period in exceptional situations which will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- The leave should not be deemed donated until actually transferred by Payroll Services to the record of the employee receiving the leave credits.
- Donated time may not be used beyond the employee's appointment expiration date in effect at the beginning of the disability.
Use of Catastrophic Leave for Family Care:
- Catastrophic illness or injury leave also includes an incapacitated member of the employee's immediate family, if this results in the employee being required to take time off for an extended period of time to care for the family member. Only vacation credits may be donated for family care catastrophic leave.
- "Immediate family member" shall be defined in accordance with the definition contained in the sick leave provisions of the collective bargaining agreement or University policy covering the recipient employee.
- The employee must have exhausted all of his/her accrued leave credits (i.e., vacation, CTO, and sick leave credits available for family care).
- The same procedures for request and approval of leave donations applicable to employees shall apply.