First Year Suggestions
New graduate students should focus on their classes in their first year so that they may advance to candidacy (see below). In the first month of the first quarter, new students will need to fill out a Graduate Contract. Each emphasis (Pure Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, and Mathematics Education) has its own set of requirements and its own contract. Consult with the graduate coordinator to fill out the Graduate Contract and figure out which courses to take.
Advacing to Candidacy
In order to begin working with a thesis adviser and earn credit for MAT 691, 696, or 697, graduate students must be advanced to candidacy. A graduate student will be advanced to candidacy when all of the following conditions are satisfied:
- Overall GPA of at least 3.0;
- Satisfied the Graduate Writing Test (GWT) requirement;
- Satisfied all requirements stipulated by the graduate coordinator at the time of admission;
- Contract approved by the graduate coordinator and the Associate Vice President for Graduate Studies;
- Completed 6 courses on the student's contract, at least 4 of which must be at the 500 level; and
- 3.0 GPA on contract courses taken thus far.