GWT Practice Topics
Read the directions, then choose from the list
of topics below.
- Read the topic a couple of times and note what it requires you to do. Make sure you complete all the tasks of the assignment.
- You have one hour and 15 minutes to write on the essay topic. Take a few minutes to plan and organize your essay before you begin to write. Scratch outlines, brainstorming, or clustering are often quite helpful. In this short time, however, you will probably not have time to write a rough draft and then recopy it.
- Try to think of specific evidence and concrete examples to support or illustrate your general points.
- Allow yourself enough time after writing to go back over your essay, proofread for errors and omissions, and make the necessary corrections.
- The essay topic is designed to give you an opportunity to demonstrate your ability to write clearly and effectively. Perfection is not expected, but you should try to produce the best essay possible in the time allotted.
After you have finished your practice essay, you may want to make an appointment with a Writing Center tutor to go over your paper. The best way to learn to improve your writing skills is to practice, get feedback, develop a revision plan, and re-write your essay. Call 909-869-5343
to make an appointment.
- Back to the Good Old Days
- Do Men Listen with Half a Brain?
- English Only
- Freedom of Speech
- Does the Law Protect the Weak?
- Are Video Games Dangerous?
- Portable Electronic Communication
- Preserving the Past
- School Violence
- The Private Lives of Public Figures
- Sex and Violence in the Movies
- The Purpose of College
- Virtual Lives, Virtual Places
- Stress Can Be Fattening
- Will California Have a Common Culture?
- Getting Your Money’s Worth
- The Best Boss
- Best/Worst Co-Worker
- Choosing a Major or Career
- Customer Service at Cal Poly Pomona
- Gender Roles
- Should We Eat Animals?
- What Makes a Good Teacher?
- Does Cal Poly Pomona Need an Honor Code?
- What Makes a Hero?
- What Product Is the Best Value?
- Are Today’s Teenagers as Bad as We Think?
- Why has the GWT Been Difficult for You?
- Is Appearance the Most Important Thing for Southern Californians?
- What was the Best or Worst Job You Ever Had?