Improve Your Writing!
Welcome to Fall 2009!
The new GWT course, CPU 401, starts this fall. If you have struggled to pass the GWT, try meeting the requirement with a course. See more information on the GWT page.
University Writing Center Services
- One-on-one tutoring (30-minute appointments are standard; 60-minute appointments are available when demand allows.)
- Group tutoring
- GWT Workshops and Practice Tests
- Computer Stations
- Handbooks, dictionaries and other resources
- A student sees a tutor to figure out how to get started.
- A student has a rough draft, but it is too short and needs development.
- An instructor gave a student a low grade on a paper and the student wants to improve it.
- A student has a final draft, but needs help proofreading.
- A student attends a GWT workshop to find out about strategies for passing it.
- A student is struggling to pass the GWT and writes a sample paper.
- A student has a research project and needs help finding or documenting sources.
- A student has a lot of notes and information and is trying to turn it into a paper.
- All of these situations happen everyday!
University Writing Center News
Current UWC Flyer
English 002 "College Composition"
English 002 is a supplement for English 104 or IGE 120 for students with English Placement Test (EPT) scores from 147-150.
English 095 Tutorial Groups
The University Writing Center will also be providing tutoring groups for English 095. Your instructor will tell you more about their requirements, but most instructors require eight group meetings. The following link has a tentative schedule of groups. Find your course and section number to see the available times for your section. You will have to come to the Writing Center to sign up.
About University Writing Center
The University Writing Center serves all Cal Poly Pomona students regardless of program or major. There is no charge. You can come in with any type of writing assignment at any stage of the process. We can help you understand the assignment and plan your paper. We can help you organize and revise your paper. We can even help you learn to proofread for your most common mistakes. We can also help you prepare for the Graduation Writing Test.
University Writing Center Location
The UWC is located in the newly renovated Library, Building 15, room 2919. At the main entrance, go up the escalator to the second floor, turn left, walk through the reference stacks, and turn left again. Call 909-869-5343 for information or to make an appointment.
University Writing Center Hours
In Summer 2009 the UWC is open Monday-Thursday 8:00-5:30. We will be closed Friday. Schedules change in finals week and quarter break.