U.R.-BRONCO: Undergraduate Research - Building a Research Opportunity and Networking Community
Overview of U.R. Bronco Project
The U.R. BRONCO Project is a faculty led initiative to promote undergraduate research, scholarship, and creative activity at Cal Poly Pomona.
This project is an outcome of the Fall 2008 Workshop on Institutionalizing Undergraduate Research held at Cal State San Bernardino, sponsored by the California State University Chancellor’s Office and the Council on Undergraduate Research (CUR).
The goal of the U.R. BRONCO Project is to develop and support an active undergraduate research community across all academic disciplines on campus.
The project is directed by the UR-BRONCO Working Group, which includes two faculty representatives from each of the eight colleges at Cal Poly Pomona, as well as the Campus Coordinator for Undergraduate Research and the Associate Vice President for Research.
The mission of the U.R. BRONCO Project at Cal Poly Pomona is to advance knowledge and engage students in life-long learning and exploration through discipline-appropriate faculty-mentored professional experience.
U.R. BRONCO Project History
Fall Quarter 2008
- Cal Poly Pomona sends a faculty team to the CUR-CSU Workshop on Institutionalizing Undergraduate Research at CSU San Bernardino.
- At the workshop, the Cal Poly Pomona team writes the U.R. BRONCO Action Plan.
- After the workshop, the faculty team meets with the Provost and the Associate Vice President for Research to discuss the U.R. BRONCO Project and seek administrative support.
- The Provost agrees to support the project and provides release time for a faculty associate to serve as Campus Coordinator for Undergraduate Research.
Winter Quarter 2009
- The U.R. BRONCO Faculty Team begins regular monthly meetings.
- The team selects Dr. Jeff Marshall (Geological Sciences Dept.) to serve as Campus Coordinator for Undergraduate Research.
- The team asks the eight College Deans to recruit additional representatives from their Colleges (2 per College) to serve on a broader UR-BRONCO Working Group.
- The Campus Coordinator for Undergraduate Research meets with Chair of Cal Poly Pomona Capital Campaign to discuss potential fund raising for campus undergraduate research activities.
Spring Quarter 2009
- The UR-BRONCO Working Group begins regular monthly meetings attended by faculty representatives from all eight Colleges.
- The U.R. BRONCO faculty representatives discuss the nature of Undergraduate Research across all disciplines on campus.
- The U.R. BRONCO Working Group drafts a Definition of Undergraduate Research at Cal Poly Pomona.
- The Working Group compiles a preliminary Inventory of Undergraduate Research Activities at Cal Poly Pomona.
Fall Quarter 2009:
- The U.R. BRONCO Web Site is launched to promote opportunities, resources, and networking for undergraduate research at Cal Poly Pomona.
- A U.R. BRONCO Faculty Workshop is held at the Cal Poly Pomona Fall Conference.
- The U.R. BRONCO college representatives meet with College Deans, Department Chairs, and faculty Senators to promote the U.R. BRONCO Project and seek input.
- U.R. BRONCO Working Group identifies Exemplary Practices and Faculty Champions for Undergrad Research across the Cal Poly Pomona campus.