Philip S. Beauchamp
California State Polytechnic University , Pomona
Pomona CA , 91768
e mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
I have taught at California State Polytechnic University at Pomona since obtaining my Ph.D. in 1981. My duties include teaching two lectures and three laboratories each quarter. In addition to my teaching duties, I am in charge of maintaining, operating and training for our 300 MHz NMR (Mercury, Broad Band). I occasionally teach a course in Modern Methods of NMR. I have also served as Chair of the University-wide Retention, Tenure and Promotion Committee, schedule coordinator for the Chemistry Department, Faculty Senator, vice-chair of the University Educational Policies committee, Chemistry Club Advisor, Science Council Advisor, serve on several departmental, college and university committees and am required to have five office hours per week. My research interests at Cal Poly have been focused on NMR analysis of natural products and the synthesis of strained hydrocarbons. I was promoted to associate professor in 1983 and full professor in 1988.
Grants and Awards
Cal Poly Travel Grant for NMR training course, 10/2000 - $1134.00 (Funded)
California Lottery Funds Proposal, NMR & AA Upgrade Funds 6/2000 - $99,000 (Funded)
Kellogg foundation Educational Grant to purchase molecular models, 2/2000 - $500 (Funded)
Faculty Mini-grant, NMR software, 1998 - $384 (Funded)
Research, Scholarship and Creative Activities Proposal 1/94 - $5,000 (Funded)
California Lottery Funds Proposal, NMR Matching Funds 8/89 - $75,000 (Funded)
NSF ILI Proposal (NMR Instrument), Submitted 11/88 - $75.000 (Funded)
NSF Microscale Workshop Proposal, Submitted with Dr. Ken Williamson, 10/88 - $63,000
(Not Funded, but workshop was successfully offered without NSF Funding)
Distinguished Speaker Proposal, 9/88 - $9,020 (Funded)
MicroSun Computer Proposal, 7/88, Co-P.I. - $35,000 (Funded)
NSF Summer Visiting Professor (UC Irvine with Professor Ken Shea), 1988
Kellogg foundation Educational Grant to purchase microscale kits, 1988 - $710 (Funded)
NSF Summer Visiting Professor (UC Irvine with Professor Ken Shea), 1986
PRF Starter Grant, 9/85 - $15,000 (Funded)
PRF Summer Visiting Professor ( University of New Mexico , Albuquerque with Professor Richard Holder), 1984
Cal Poly Foundation Seed Grant, 1982 - $600 (Funded)
35. California Lomatiums , Part X. comparison of composition of the hydrodistilled oils from two subspecies of Lomatium mohavense , Natural Product Research, Vol 25 (14), 1347-1351 (August 2011), P.S. Beauchamp, V. Dev, K. Kittisanthanon and B. Ly.
34. California/Lomatiums, Part IX. Isolation of a new isomer of a-sinensal and its dirivatives from Lomatium mohavense ss;. longilobum, Flavour and Fragrance Journal, 25 (6), 427-430 (November/December, 2010), P.S. Beauchamp, V. Dev, K. Kittisanthanon and B. Ly.
33. The Leaf Essential Oils of Juniperus communis L. Varieties in North America and the NMR and MS Data for Isoabienol, J. Essent. Oil Res, 22 , 23-28 (January/February 2010), R.P, Adams , P.S. Beauchamp, V. Dev, and R.M. Bathala
32. Essential Oil Composition of Six Lomatium Species Attractive to Indra Swallowtail Butterfly (Papilio indra): Principal Component Analytsis Against Essential Oil Composition of Lomatium dissectum var. multifidum , J. Essent. Oil Res, 21 , 535-542 (November/December 2009), P.S. Beauchamp, E. Chea , J.G. dimaano, V. Dev, B. Ly, A.E. Miranda and W.H. Whaley.
31. New Natural Products Isolated from One-Seeded Juniperus of the Southwestern United States : Isolation and Occurrence of 2-Ethenyl-3-Methyl Phenol and Its Derivatives, J. Essent. Oil Res, 19 , 146-152 (March/April 2007), R.P. Adams, P.S. Beauchamp, V. Dev, S.M. Dutz
30. California Lomatiums , Part VII. Analysis of the Essential Oils of Lomatium nevadense (Watson) J. Coulter it Rose var. Parishii (J. Coulter et Rose) Jepson. Isolation of trans -dauc-8-en-11-ol, a New Sesquiterpene Alcohol and Naturally Occurring 2',3',3'-Trimethyl-2',3'-Dihydroangelicin, J. Essent. Oil Res., 19 , 117-124 (March/April 2007), P.S. Beauchamp, B.C. Dev and V. Dev, S.L. Midland and J.J. Sims
29. California Lomatiums , Part VI. Composition of the Essential Oils of Lomatium foeniculaceum ssp. fimbriatum CB Clarke, J. Essent. Oil Res., 18 , 666-669 (November/December 2006), P.S. Beauchamp, B.C. Dev and V. Dev
28. Terpenoid Composition of the Essential Oil from Pimpinella acuminate (Edgew.) CB Clarke, J. Essent. Oil Res., 18 , 312-314 (May/June 2006), A.B. Melkani, M.S. Javed, K.B. Melkani, V. Dev and P.S. Beauchamp
27. Constituents of the essential oil of a new chemoype of Elsholtzia strobilifera Benth., Biochemical Systematics and Ecology, 33, 419-425 (2005), A.B. Melkani, V. Dev, P.S. Beauchamp, A. Negi, S.P.S. Mehta, K.B. Melkani
26. Essential oil composition of four Lomatium Raf. Species and their chemotaxonomy, Biochemical Systematics and Ecology, 33, 17-26 (2005), W.A. Asuming, P.S. Beauchamp, J.T. Descalzo, B.C. Dev, V. Dev, S. Frost, C.W. Ma
25. California Lomatiums Part IV: Composition Essential Oils of Lomatium rigidum (M.E. Jones) Jepson. Structures of Two New Funebrene Epimers and a Tridecatriene, J. Essent. Oil Res., 16 , 571-578 (November/December 2004), P.S. Beauchamp, J.T. Descalzo, B.C. Dev, V. Dev, C.V. Nguyen, S.L. Midland, J.J. Sims and F.S. Tham
24. California Lomatiums Part III. Composition of the Hydrodistilled Oils from Two Varieties of Lomatium dissectum. Isolation of a New Hydrocarbon, J. Essent. Oil Res., 16 , 461-468 (September/October 2004), S. Bairamian, P.S. Beauchamp, J.T. Descalzo, B.C. Dev, V. Dev, S.C. Frost and C.V. Nguyen
23. Biogenetic-Type Synthesis of (+)-Cymbodiacetal, a Constituent of Cymbopogon martini, Journal of Natural Products (2004), 67(4), 700-702, A.M. D'Souza, S.K. Paknikar, V. Dev; P.S. Beauchamp; S.P. Kamat
22. A convenient one-pot synthesis of 4-methyl-3-phenyl-3-aryl- and 3-aryl-4-phenylcoumarins, J. Chem. Research (S), 242-246, (2002), S.P. Kamat, A.M. D'Souza, S. K. Paknikar and P.S. Beauchamp
21. Composition of Essential Oil of Tanacetum nubigenum Wallich ex DC., J. Essent. Oil Res., 13, 319-323, (2001), P. Beauchamp, V. Dev, T. Kashyap, A. Melkani, C. Mathela, A.T. Bottini
20. Superacid-catalyzed preparation of aryl-substituted piperidines via dicationic electrophiles, Tetrahedron Letters, 42, 5821-5823 (2001), D.A. Klumpp, P.S. Beauchamp, G.V. Sanchez, S. Aguirre, S. de Leon
19. Analysis of North American Chenopodium botrys essential oil isolation and structure of two new sesquiterpene alcohols. Journal of Essential Oil Research (2001), 13(6), 393-400, A.G. Bedrossian, P.S. Beauchamp, B. Bernichi, Bouchra; V. Dev, K.Z. Kitaw, H. Rechtshaffen, A.T. Bottini; H. Hope
18. Composition of Pteryxia terebinthina var. californica (Coult. and Rose) Mathias Essential Oils, J. Essential Oil Res., 12, 372-376 (2000), P.S. Beauchamp, V. Dev, E. Munevar-Mendoza, P.E. Moore
17. Mock job interviews to assess student learning outcomes. Book of Abstracts, 218th ACS National Meeting, New Orleans , Aug. 22-26 (1999), Starkey, Laurie S.; Beauchamp, Philip S..
16. Composition of the Essential Oil of Lomatium torreyi , J. Essential Oil Res., 10, 473-477 (1998), A. Bedrossian, P.S. Beauchamp, V. Dev, S. Kwan, E. Munevar-Mendoza, E.K. Okoreeh and P.E. Moore
15. Studies in the thermal rearrangement of 1-vinyl-5-methylenebicyclo[4.3.0]nonane. Attempted synthesis of bicyclo[4.3.3]dodeca-1,5-diene. Anales de Quimica International Edition (1998), 94(4/5), 179-180, P.S. Beauchamp, R. Marquez-Morentin
14. A General Approach to Calculate Proton Chemical Shifts for Methyl, Methylene and Methine Protons Having One or More Substituents Within Three Carbons, Journal of Chemical Education , 74, 1483-1485 (1997), P.S. Beauchamp and R. Marquez
13. Neo -Clerodane Diterpenoids From Ajuga Parviflora , Phytochemistry ,43, 827-834, (1996) P.S.Beauchamp, A.T.Bottini, V.Dev, C.S.Mathela, A.B. Melkani, A.K.Pant, V.K.Sharma, et.al.
12. Comparative Investigation of the Sesquiterpenoids Present in the Leaf Oil of Cymbopogan distans (Steud.) Wats var. Loharhket and the Root Oil of Cymbopogan jwarancusa (Jones) Schult., J. Essential Oil Res., 8, 117-121 (1996) P.S.Beauchamp, V.Dev, D.R.Docter, R.Ehsani, G.Vita, A.b.Melkani, C.S.Mathela, A.T.Bottini
11. “Oh, Those Underprepared Students...”, v.10(5), May 1996, The Teaching Professor, contributing author
10. The Hidden curriculum: Faculty-Made Tests in Science , Eds. S.Tobias and J.Raphael, Plenum Press, 1997, contributing author.
9. Rosefuran Epoxide from Elsholtzia densa Benth., J. Essential Oil Res., 6, 475-479 (1994), A.B.Melkani, P.S.Beauchamp, V.Dev, C.Whalen, C.S.Mathela
8. Analysis of the Essential Oil from Lomatium Californium (Nutt.), P.S.Beauchamp, A.T.Bottini, V.Dev, A.B.Melkani, J.Timbrook: Food Flavors, Ingredients and Composition, 1993, Elsevier Science Publishers B.V., G.Gharalambous (Ed.)
7. Coleons from Nepeta elliptica, Phytochemistry (1993), 34(5), 1438-9, R. Bhandari, C.S. Mathela, P.S. Beauchamp, A.T. Bottini, V. Dev
6. Theoretical Study of the Mechanism of Cycloaddition of Acetylene to alpha-pyrone: Asynchronism and Substituent Effects, E.Goldstein, A.Kallel, P.S.Beauchamp, Journal of Molecular Structure, 1987, 151, 297
5. Synthesis, Bromination and Photoelectron Spectra of Meso Bridgehead Dienes, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 108, 5901 (1986), K.J.Shea, A.C.Greeley, S.Nguyen, P.S.Beauchamp, D.H.Aue, J.S.Witzeman
4. Absolutely Simple Stereochemistry, J. Chem. Ed., 61, 666 (1984), P.S.Beauchamp
3. Synthesis of Meso Bridgehead Dienes, (3,3) Sigmatropic Rearrangements of 1,n-Divinyl bicyclo (n,m,o) Alkenes, Tet. Lett., 1983, 4173, K.J.Shea, A.C.Greeley, S.Nguyen, P.S.Beauchamp, S.Wise
2. Applications of Bridgehead Alkenes to Organic Synthesis. Regio- and Stereochemical Control in the Diels-Alder Route to Disubstituted and Trisubstituted Cyclohexanes. K.J.Shea, P.S.Beauchamp, R.M.Lind, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 102, 4544 (1980)
1. Template Synthesis of Macromolecules, Synthesis and Chemistry of Functionalized Macroporous Polydivinylbenzene. K.J.Shea, E.A.Thompson, S.D.Pandey, P.S.Beauchamp, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 102, 3149 (1980)