Outstanding Faculty Advisors
Process for Selecting an Advisor
A process was prepared by Academic Programs, supported by the Academic Senate, and approved by the President in fall 2012.
Link to Approved Process
Criteria for Selection
Selection of the College Outstanding Faculty Advisor shall be based on criteria from the following list. It is not expected or required that faculty advisors meet all of these criteria.
- Communicates with advisees professionally, allowing an appropriate amount of time to discuss a variety of subjects related to advisees’ educational programs, including and recognizing their unique backgrounds and needs;
- Assists advisees in assessing their interests and abilities, examining their educational goals, and developing short-term and long-term plans to meet their objectives;
- Periodically reviews the academic progress of the advisees and its impact on achievement of goals and seek practical, thorough, innovative, and timely solutions to advisees’ problems;
- Makes advisees aware of, and refers them to, qualified persons and educational, institutional, and community resources, programs, and services;
- Understands, interprets, and accurately communicates policies, procedures, and information to assist advisees to make well-informed academic decisions; and
- Seeks opportunities to grow professionally as an advisor and shares his or her advising philosophies and techniques with colleagues.