Department of Physics and Astronomy
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
- I grew up in the small city of Ellsworth, Maine (population 7,741 as of the 2010 census—it was under 6,000 when I was a child). l graduated from Ellsworth High School in 1996.
- I attended Harvard College in Cambridge, MA, majoring in Astronomy & Astrophysics and receiving my A.B. cum laude in 2000. While at Harvard, I worked at the Harvard–Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (CfA) on diverse research projects with Dr. Kenny Wood (now faculty at St. Andrews) during my junior year and Dr. John Raymond during my senior year. In between, I spent a summer at the National Solar Observatory in Tucson, AZ and completed a research project with Dr. Mark Giampapa and Dr. Jeff Valenti (now at Space Telescope Science Institute) that lead to my first lead-author publication in a peer-reviewed journal.
- I stayed on at CfA during the summer of 2000 after graduation, working as a research assistant to my senior honors thesis advisor, Dr. John Raymond.
- In September 2000 I joined the United States Peace Corps, moving to Tanzania for 3 months of training followed by two years of service teaching Mathematics and Physics at Moshi Technical Secondary School. My Tanzania Pages contain stories and photos documenting my time in Africa.
- After returning from Africa in 2003, I was again hired as a research assistant to Dr. Raymond at CfA. During a productive year, we published two papers, including an article in Science Magazine.
- I joined the University of Wisconsin–Madison as a graduate student in 2004. Working with Professor (now Emeritus) Edward Churchwell, and the GLIMPSE collaboration, I completed my doctoral thesis and received my Ph.D. in 2009.
- After receiving my Ph.D., spent 3 years as an NSF Astronomy and Astrophysics Postdoctoral Fellow at the Pennsylvania State University. My sponsor was Dr. Leisa Townsley.
- In September 2012 I joined the faculty of the Physics and Astronomy Department at Cal Poly Pomona as an Assistant Professor.
For more details, download my complete CV and publications list (PDF).
- L. Chomiuk & M. S. Povich, Toward a Unification of Star Formation Rate Determinations in the Milky Way and Other Galaxies. 2011, The Astronomical Journal, 142, 197
- M. S. Povich, N. Smith, S. R. Majewski, K. V. Getman, L. K. Townsley, et al., A Pan-Carina YSO Catalog: Intermediate-mass Young Stellar Objects in the Carina Nebula Identified Via Mid-infrared Excess Emission. 2011, The Astrophysical Journal Supplement, 194, 14
- M. S. Povich, L. K. Townsley, P. S. Broos, M. Gagné, et al., Candidate X-ray-emitting OB Stars in the Carina Nebula Identified Via Infrared Spectral Energy Distributions. 2011, The Astrophysical Journal Supplement, 194, 6
- M. S. Povich & B. A. Whitney, Evidence for Delayed Massive Star Formation in the M17 Proto-OB Association. 2010, The Astrophysical Journal Letters, 714, 285
- N. Smith, M. S. Povich, B. A. Whitney, E. Churchwell, B. L. Babler, M. R. Meade, J. Bally, R. D. Gehrz, T. P. Robitaille, K. G. Stassun, Spitzer Space Telescope observations of the Carina nebula: the steady march of feedback-driven star formation. 2010, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 406, 952
- M. Kang, J. H. Bieging, M. S. Povich, & Y. Lee, Embedded Young Stellar Object Candidates in the Active Star-Forming Complex W51: Mass Function and Spatial Distribution. 2009, The Astrophysical Journal, 706, 83
- M. S. Povich, E. Churchwell, J. H. Bieging, M. Kang, B. A. Whitney, et al., The Extended Environment of M17: A Star Formation History. 2009, The Astrophysical Journal, 696, 1278
- M. S. Povich, R. A. Benjamin, B. A. Whitney, B. L. Babler, R. Indebetouw, M. R. Meade, & E. Churchwell, Interstellar Weather Vanes: GLIMPSE Mid-Infrared Stellar-Wind Bow Shocks in M17 and RCW 49. 2008, The Astrophysical Journal, 689, 242
- C. Watson, M. S. Povich, E. B. Churchwell, G. Chunev, M. Hoare, R. Indebetouw, M. R. meade, T. P. Robitaille, & B. A. Whitney, IR Dust Bubbles: Probing the Detailed Structure and Young Massive Stellar Populations of Galactic H II Regions. 2008, The Astrophysical Journal, 681, 1341
- E. Churchwell, D. F. Watson, M. S. Povich, M. G. Taylor, B. L. Babler, M. R. Meade, R. A. Benjamin, R. Indebetouw, & B. A. Whitney, The Bubbling Galactic Disk. II. The Inner 20°. 2007, The Astrophysical Journal, 670, 428
- D. S. Shepherd, M. S. Povich, B. A. Whitney, T. P. Robitaille, D. E. A. Nürnberger, L. Bronfman, D. P. Stark, R. Indebetous, M. R. Meade, & B. L. Babler, Molecular Outflows and a Mid-Infrared Census of the Massive Star Formation Region Associated with IRAS 18507+0121. 2007, The Astrophysical Journal, 669, 464
- M. S. Povich, J. M. Stone, E. Churchwell, E. G. Zweibel, M. G. Wolfire, B. L. Babler, R. Indebetouw, M. R. Meade, & B. A. Whitney, A Multiwavelength Study of M17: The Spectral Energy Distribution and PAH Emission Morphology of a Massive Star-Formation Region. 2007, The Astrophysical Journal, 660, 346
- E. Churchwell, M. S. Povich, D. Allen, M. G. Taylor, M. R. Meade, et al., The Bubbling Galactic Disk. 2006, The Astrophysical Journal, 649, 759
- M. S. Povich, J. C. Raymond, A. Lobel, & K. Menou, Far Ultraviolet Spectroscopic Explorer Observations of the Dwarf Nova SW Ursae Majoris during Quiescence. 2004, The Astrophysical Journal, 617, 500
- M. S. Povich, J. C. Raymond, G. H. Jones, M. Uzzo, Y.-K. Ko, P. D. Feldman, P. L. Smith, B. G. Marsden, & T. N. Woods, Doubly-Ionized Carbon Observed in the Plasma Tail of Comet Kudo-Fujikawa. 2003, Science, 302, 1949
- M. S. Povich, M. S. Giampapa, J. A. Valenti, T. Tilleman, S. Barden, D. Deming, W. C. Livingston, & C. Pilachowski, Limits on Line Bisector Variability for Stars with Extrasolar Planets. 2001, The Astronomical Journal, 121, 1136
Selected Refereed Journal Articles
- M. S. Povich. A Case Study of the Galactic H II Region M17 and Environs: Implications for the Galactic Star Formation Rate 2009, Ph.D. thesis, The University of Wisconsin--Madison, E. Churchwell and B. A. Whitney, advisors
- M. S. Povich. The First SOHO/UVCS Doppler Radial Velocity Measurements of the Slow Solar Wind Speed in a Coronal Streamer. 2000, senior honors thesis, Harvard College, J. C. Raymond, advisor
- M. S. Povich. The Circumstellar Environment of the Class II T Tauri Star HH 30 1999, junior thesis, Harvard College, K. Wood, advisor