To be eligible for this program, you must:
- Be a low-income and first-generation college student,
or underrepresented in your field of study at the doctoral level;
- Must have completed at least 60 quarter units by the end of the Winter quarter when you apply;
- Have a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
Please note that everyone must fill out an Eligibility Form, and submit it to the McNair Program office before you fill out the application.
- Eligibility Form: Fill out the form completely and turn it
in to the McNair Scholars Program
office on the third floor of Building 8, Room 306. Students must turn in an Eligibility Form by Friday, February 28, 2014 at 3:30 pm, before completing the application packet.
- Application Packet: Once it has been determined that you are eligible for the program, you will be given an application. You should complete all parts of the application packet. Incomplete or late application packets will not be accepted. Application due date: Friday, April 4, 2014 at 3:30 pm.
- Interview: Once applications are processed, top candidates will be invited to interview with the selection committee. Interviews will be held
A complete application packet includes the following:
- The completed 4-page application;
- A photocopy of the appropriate federal income tax form;
- If applicable, a copy of your most recent financial aid form;
- Your Academic Degree Progress report;
- Your unofficial transcripts; if you are a transfer student, you may submit your community college transcripts if you have only been at CPP since Fall.
- Your Personal Statement of no more than 500 words;
- Your Research Statement: about a page long;
- Three letters of recommendation. These may be emailed to
firstname.lastname@example.org or sent to the McNair Scholars Program office
room 8-306 through campus mail.
Please note that some of this information will take time to gather. You should plan accordingly. Also, the last day we will distribute applications is March 8th. As soon as you decide to apply to the program, have your transcripts sent to the McNair Scholars Program, and ask professors and others to write letters of recommendations. If you wait to do these things, you may find that the deadline will arrive, and your application packet will be incomplete. All complete application packets must be returned to the McNair
Scholars Program office (Building 8, Room 306) no later than Friday, April 4, 2014 at 3:30pm.