Cal Poly Pomona's Campus History from the University Archives
Special Collections Home > Collections > University Archives
Special Collections Home > Gallery
 
logo
HISTORICAL PHOTOGRAPHS

 

June 7, 1946 - Decoration ceremony for Major Clayton 

decoration ceremony 

The Army officially took over the ranch on October 28, 1943 when it became the Pomona Quartermaster Depot (Remount). Mr. Kellogg had not been pleased with the condition of the ranch under the management of the University of California and sought to have the ranch turned over to the United States government in support of military efforts during World War II. Historically, Arabian horses were known for their suitability as war horses, especially due to their endurance and courage. In Arabian desert battles it was characteristic for the horse to stop when the rider fell and to remain with the fallen rider.  

 BACK

FORWARD 


About the use of images

 
 

dropshadow

 
 

 

University Library Special Collections
Bldg 15 room 4434 •  909-869-2087 • kaerickson@csupomona.edu