Cal Poly Pomona's Campus History from the University Archives
Special Collections Home > Collections > University Archives
Special Collections Home > Gallery
 
logo
HISTORICAL PHOTOGRAPHS

 

May 17, 1932 - Kellogg Ranch Presentation Ceremony.  

presentation ceremony

(left to right) Captain William Banning, Will Rogers, California Governor James Rolph, W.K. Kellogg, and a National Guard officer.

W.K. Kellogg decided to present the ranch in 1932 to the University of California. It was known as the W.K. Kellogg Institute of Animal Husbandry until 1943. From 1943 to 1948 the ranch was controlled by the U.S. Army, followed in 1948 by a transfer to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. When it looked as though the USDA was going to auction off the horses, nationwide protests and political pressure intervened to stop the process. Finally in 1949 the ranch was given to California State Polytechnic College, San Luis Obispo to provide room for the increasing student population at its southern California branch campus. The school was required to maintain the Arabians and continue the Sunday horse shows.  

 BACK

FORWARD 


About the use of images

 
 

dropshadow

 
 

 

University Library Special Collections
Bldg 15 room 4434 •  909-869-2087 • kaerickson@csupomona.edu