Cal Poly Pomona's Campus History from the University Archives
Special Collections Home > Collections > University Archives
Special Collections Home > Gallery
 
logo
HISTORICAL PHOTOGRAPHS

 

c1962- Graduation in the Rose Garden 

graduation

Classes moved from the overcrowded Voorhis Unit in San Dimas to the Kellogg campus in fall 1956 with 508 students and 110 staff. Graduation ceremonies on the Kellogg campus were first conducted in the Rose Garden in 1957 when fifty-seven men graduated. Previously, students had been required to finish their classwork at San Luis Obispo and attend the graduation ceremony on that campus. Cal Poly faculty members were not invited to attend graduations or permitted to walk in any academic procession until the mid-1960 's because President Julian McPhee was opposed to the idea.  

 BACK

FORWARD 


About the use of images

 
 

dropshadow

 
 

 

University Library Special Collections
Bldg 15 room 4434 •  909-869-2087 • kaerickson@cpp.edu