campus history header
Special Collections Home > Collections > University Archives
Highlights from Cal Poly Pomona History
 
    Introduction       1920's       1930's       1940's       1950's       1960's       1970's       1980's       1990's  
 

 

1980's

1981(April 30)
Dedication of Union Plaza(26) on April 30. The original Arabian Horse Stables had been remodeled to create Union Plaza, a center for student organizations.

 

1983 (June 29)
Groundbreaking ceremony for the Voorhis Ecological Reserve took place.

 

1984 (April 14)
The University Office Building(94) was dedicated.

 

1985 (September 22)
The University Village Apartments were opened.
The apartments were constructed with Cal Poly Kellogg Unit funds. The project offered 400 additional living spaces for Cal Poly students.

 

1986 (September 18)
Dedication of the Bronco Bookstore(66). The building also provides classrooms and faculty offices.

 

1988 (January 4)
The University was authorized to change the names of its "Schools" to "Colleges."

 

1988 (January 14)
Groundbreaking ceremonies were held for the $3 million James and Carol Collins Center for Hospitality Management (79) situated near Kellogg West.

 

1988 (May)
A project was started to add the 4th and 5th floors to the University Library(15). The 3rd floor was closed to allow asbestos removal; site preparation began for construction of the two floors.

 

1988 (October 10)
The University Art Gallery was dedicated. The John L. and Helen Kellogg Foundation and Jean and W. Keith Kellogg II provided major funding for the building. The first exhibit was "Hollywood Collects, 1988."

 

1988 (November)
"Breakthrough," the first phonograph album by the Cal Poly Pomona Jazz Ensemble was available at the Bronco Bookstore. Also, site preparation began near the Music Building(24) for the addition of a two story Music/Faculty Office building.

 

1989 (September 18)
Construction of two additional floors of the University Library(15) was completed and the building dedicated as part of the Fall Conference.
 
 

University Library Special Collections
Bldg 15 room 4434 •  909-869-2087 • kaerickson@csupomona.edu