campus history header
Special Collections Home > Collections > University Archives
Highlights from Cal Poly Pomona History
 
    Introduction       1920's       1930's       1940's       1950's       1960's       1970's       1980's       1990's  
 

 

1970's

1970
The School of Environmental Design building(7) was completed.

 

1972(April 6)
Dedication of the W.K. Kellogg Horse Center(29).

 

1972(June 1)
The name of the college was changed to California State Polytechnic University, Pomona.

 

1972(April 6)
Dedication of the W.K. Kellogg Horse Center(29).

 

1974(October 17)
Dedication of the University Union(35).

 

1975 (September 15)
The Polywagen (Tram) began operation, carrying students, faculty and staff from parking lots to campus buildings.

 

1976(September)
The School of Science building(8) was opened.

 

1978(March 29)
The 157 acre Voorhis campus was sold for $2.31 million to the Pacific Coast Baptist Bible College who had leased the property for the previous seven years. The Voorhis campus was sold to raise funds to purchase 100 acres of land bordering on the northwest side of the Cal Poly Kellogg campus.

 

1978(October 31)
Inauguration of Dr. Hugh O. La Bounty, Jr. on October 31 as President of Cal Poly, Pomona. Dr. La Bounty joined the faculty in 1953 and had served as Acting President since 1977.
 
 
 
 
 
 

University Library Special Collections
Bldg 15 room 4434 •  909-869-2087 • kaerickson@cpp.edu