campus history header
Special Collections Home > Collections > University Archives
Highlights from Cal Poly Pomona History
 
    Introduction       1920's       1930's       1940's       1950's       1960's       1970's       1980's       1990's  
 

 

1960's

1961
Women were enrolled for the first time when 329 women joined the student body of 2,436 men in the fall quarter. Construction began on the Administration Building (1). Students moved into Encinitas (20), Monticito (21), Alamitos (22) and Aliso (23) residence halls.

 

1963
The Cal Poly Pomona chorus and band made their first phonograph record, "The Sound of Music," which featured 12 songs.

 

1963
The Agriculture Classroom(2) and the Music(24), Drama/Theatre(25) buildings were constructed.

 

1964
Scenes for the film "The Sandpiper" starring Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton were shot on the Voorhis campus.

 

1965
Two buildings were completed: Manufacturing Engineering(10) and ARO/CME/IME Engineering(13).

 

1965
The use of reclaimed water for campus irrigation began. By 1990 almost 95% of the campus was irrigated by using reclaimed water to grow tree fruits, vegetables, grains, ornamental plants, and for livestock watering.

 

1966
The California Legislature established California State Polytechnic College, Kellogg-Voorhis as an independent college. It became the 16th college in the California State College system. In 1972 the system became The California State University and Colleges, and in 1982 it became The California State University.

 

1967(May 1)
The 100,000 square foot, $3 million Gymnasium(43) was dedicated.

 

1967(October 24)
Inauguration of Dr. Robert C. Kramer as President of Cal Poly, Pomona. Dr. Kramer served as President until 1977.

 

1968(December)
The Library building(15) was completed; students, faculty and staff worked together to move books and periodicals from the School of Arts building(5) to the new library which opened January 2, 1969.

 

1969
Palmitas Hall(57), Cedritos Hall(58) and the La Cienega Center(59) were opened.
 
 
 
 
 

University Library Special Collections
Bldg 15 room 4434 •  909-869-2087 • kaerickson@csupomona.edu