campus history header
Special Collections Home > Collections > University Archives
Highlights from Cal Poly Pomona History
 
    Introduction       1920's       1930's       1940's       1950's       1960's       1970's       1980's       1990's  
 

 

1940's

1940(January 26)
The Bronc's Cheer, the first San Dimas campus newspaper was published. The name of the newspaper was changed to Poly Views in 1942 and finally to the Poly Post in 1962.

 

1943-1946
World War II forced the closure of the Voorhis Unit campus from Spring 1943 to Fall 1946.

 

1943(October 28)
Mr. Kellogg was successful in getting the California Board of Regents to turn over the Arabian Horse Ranch to the U.S. Army for use as a remount station. The ranch was owned by the War Department from 1943-1948 and was known as the Pomona Quartermaster Depot (Remount). During the war many renovations, including road improvements and fence replacements, were made to the ranch by Italian prisoners of war, who were housed at the Los Angeles County fairgrounds.

 

1946
In the fall of 1946 the Voorhis Unit reopened with an enrollment of 270 students. In 1947 enrollment increased to 400 students.

 

1947
The first yearbook Madre Tierra was published by students at the Voorhis Unit.

 

1948(April 2)
President Harry S. Truman signed a bill (H.R.3484) transferring remount depots (including Mr. Kellogg's Ranch) to the Department of Agriculture. Because of a lack of funds the Department of Agriculture made a decision to sell the ranch and the horses.

 

1949(January 1)
The first Cal Poly float was entered in the Tournament of Roses Parade. It won the Award of Merit.

 

1949
On June 4 President Harry S. Truman signed a bill (S.B.969) which transferred the ranch back to the W. K. Kellog Foundation. On July 2 the California Legislature passed Assembly Concurrent Resolution No.100 which favored the transfer of the ranch from the Kellogg Foundation to the Cal Poly SLO. On December 14 a sign which read "California State Polytechnic College, Kellogg Unit" was posted at the ranch gate.
 
 
 

University Library Special Collections
Bldg 15 room 4434 •  909-869-2087 • kaerickson@cpp.edu