Be the preferred provider of enterprise information technology infrastructure for the campus.
Strategic Directions and Tactics
Develop and maintain a portfolio of campus-wide services to promote standardization and cost optimization of enterprise information technology
- Evaluate the feasibility and value of offering additional new services to other campus divisions:
- Server hosting through the use of virtual server technology
- File and storage services leveraging centralized storage infrastructure
- Monitoring & notification of critical services
- Evaluate current enterprise services, assessing opportunities for improvement or expansion:
- File Services
- Web Services
- Datacenter Co-location
- Identity Management Services
- Network Services
- Hosting of Campus Applications (Blackboard, Hyperion, Odyssey, etc)
Develop a systems operating environment that is agile, flexible, reliable, and scalable in support of division and campus computing needs.
- Establish a systems technology plan
- Establish an enterprise storage strategy.
- Facilitate more efficient use of storage resources through centralization.
- Deliver more flexible use of storage through the use of SAN, iSCSI and other emerging storage networking technologies.
- Streamline the creation and refresh of development environments and offer alternative data backup options that facilitate near 7x24 uptime through the use of data replication.
- Facilitate disaster recovery utilizing remote data replication.
- Offer file services via NAS (Network Attached Storage).
- Facilitate simplified data retention and management through the use of ILM (Information Lifecycle Management) technologies that can automate data archival and retrieval.
- Establish a strategy for server virtualization.
- Improve server deployment time.
- Support additional development environments where required.
- Support virtual server failover for improved reliability.
- Determine if I&IT offers virtual servers to other divisions.
- Establish a plan for communications technologies and architecture
- Assess and determine future plans for IP telephony in our environment.
- Assess the value and feasibility of integrated messaging.
- Assess expanded wireless coverage for the campus.
- Implement Strategy for Systems Monitoring & Notification.
- Determine appropriate tools for monitoring.
- Determine appropriate alarms and thresholds (what to monitor & how).
- Implement single alert management tool to route notification.
- Implement alert response & escalation.
- Have single console for managing alert contacts.
- Reduce Single Points of Failure.
- Address staffing and cross-training needs.
- Evaluate system redundancy & fault tolerance.
- Assess the physical location dependency.
Build an organization of innovative, competent, results and customer-oriented team players aligned with department strategic mission.
- Ensure that department mission is aligned with division and campus missions
- Review and update department mission as required to maintain alignment
- Communicate department strategic mission to all staff members
- Develop an organizational structure to support department and division missions.
- Assess and determine department role.
- Develop specs for Associate Director position(s).
- Recommend a succession plan.
- Address staffing needs.
- Hire, develop, and retain high performance team members.
- Develop staff professional development plans in collaboration with employees, integrating work assignments as a part of their plan where applicable.
- Assess employee performance against objectives on a regularly scheduled basis.