There are two types of plans to choose between--Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs) and Preferred Provider Organizations (PPOs).
When visiting the CalPERS web site or the CSU Chancellor's Office site, you may see other types of plans or names of HMOs and PPOs that we did not include in our plan listings. That is because these plans either do not serve the southern California area (where our employees normally live and work) or require specific membership to join, such as the PORAC (Peace Officers Research Association of California) PPO Plan.
Use these tools and resources to help you choose the right CalPERS-sponsored medical plan for you and your family:
- Attend a Benefits Orientation session.
- Review the plan summary and comparisons for the HMOs and PPOs by visiting the links listed above. Also available through above listed links are the Evidence of Coverage (EOC) Booklets that list specific details about each plan.
- Compare your monthly share of the premiums through the web links listed below under "Monthly Medical Premium Rates."
- Use the Medical Plan Chooser, a "one-stop" online service designed to assist you in choosing your medical plan. The Chooser, a service through the Pacific Business Group on Health (PBGH), can assist you in making your health plan decision. It does not "choose" a health plan for you, but it does lead you through the decision process and create results that allow you to compare and contrast health plans.
- If you have further questions, contact Cal Poly Pomona's Benefits Services, extensions 3734 or 3735.