Engineering Student Computer Accounts
College of Engineering Faculty & Staff
- Any engineering student taking classes may acquire a user name and password to permit use of engineering computers.
- Once the student has activated their account they will have access to these computers with a courtesy storage quota of 50MB.
- If the student is enrolled in a class the instructor may activate printing and storage privileges as required by the course. A folder will be created with the name MyEGRClassFolder on the H:drive of the student's computer. Opening the folder will give access to each of the class folders for the courses in which the students is enrolled.
However, class folders will NOT be created if the file storage quota has been exceeded.
- The student's user name for the
Engineering computer account is the same their Cal Poly BroncoName. For the rest of the student's engineering career this user name will remain effective
- The password for the Engineering computer account is intially based on the student's personal information. You will be required to change the password the first time you logon. You can determine the initial password by using the following criteria:
- For the first character of the password use the Upper case letter of the first letter of the first name. If the student has no first name use "X".
- For the second character of the password use the Upper case letter of the of the first letter of the last name. If the student has no last name use "X".
- For the third character of the password use the lower case letter of the second letter of the last name. If the student has no last name or a single letter last name use "x".
- For the next four characters of the password use the 2 digit birth month and 2 digit birth date of the student's birthday.
- If the first three characters in the password are the same as the students user name, add a "#" in between the first and second character of the password.
- If the password still cannot be resolved contact one of the Engineering IT techs.
- For an example of the above rules assume the student's name is Fred Smith, his Cal Poly e-mail username is fsmith and his birthday is June 5, 1987:
- His password would be FSm0605
- If the student's name is Peter Ng, his Cal Poly e-mail username is png and his birthday is December 12, 1986:
- His password would be P#Ng1212
- The student will be prompted to change the password at the first logon. The password must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Not contain the user's BroncoName.
- Be at least six characters in length.
- Contain characters from three of the following categories:
- Uppercase characters ( A through Z )
- Lowercase characters ( a through z )
- Decimal digits ( 0 through 9 )
- Non-alphabetic characters (for example, !, $, #, %)
- Students must perform the first logon using an Engineering Lab Computer and choose
a new password before using the College Remote File Services Utility.
- A user will NOT have access to the College Remote File Services Utility if their password has expired.