1901 California Polytechnic School established in San Luis Obispo with the philosophic base of learn by doing.
1907 Southern Pacific Railroad publication remarked: "California Polytechnic School near San Luis Obispo, where diplomas in usefulness are awarded.
1938 Voorhis campus opened near San Dimas; some students transferred from SLO to the new southern branch. Campus enrollment was 110 students.
1949 Breakfast cereal magnate W.K.Kellogg deeded his Arabian horse ranch of 813 acres to the State of California. Campus was called California State Polytechnic College, Kellogg Unit.
1956 Classes began on the Kellogg Campus. Campus enrollment was 550 students.
1957-8 Engineering classes began on the Kellogg Campus even though the Engineering center was not complete.
1959 Two-story part of Engineering Building 9 was constructed.
1960 First 11 students graduated in alphabetical order from Engineering which offered the disciplines of Aeronautical, Electronic , Industrial, and Mechanical Engineering.
1961 Women admitted to the Kellogg campus; referred to as “Coeds”. Student enrollment was 329 women and 2,436 men.
1965 Five-story addition to Engineering Building 9 and Engineering Building 13 constructed. Also "temporary Engineering Buildings 10, 11, 12, and 14 are constructed and used for over 30 years.
1966-7 Kellogg campus became independent of SLO as California's 16th state college. Engineering Division became the School of Engineering.
1972 Name changed to California State Polytechnic University, Pomona.
1983 Minority Engineering Program (MEP) established, with Kay Hudspeth as director, to build diversity in engineering. Program now called Maximizing Engineering Program.
1984 Dr. Edward Hohmann becomes dean and establishes an Industry Action Council.
1988 The School becomes College of Engineering.
1989-94 Cal Poly Pomona Solar Energy Team (CaPSET), led by Dr. Mike Shelton, designs, builds and races solar cars across the USA, Australia, and Japan.
1990 Engineering Interdisciplinary Clinic (EIC) created by Dr. Chris Caenepeel to provide real work project experience to small teams of engineering students.
1992 Engineering Revitalization Project launched. $52-million joint public/private effort to renovate, replace and revitalize much of the college's physical facilities, including Buildings 9 and 13.
1999 Demolition begins on Buildings 10, 11, 12, and 14; construction begins on Building 17.
2000 Project Symposium initiated for all graduating students.
2001 Classes held in the newly completed Engineering Laboratory Building 17.
2006 Cal Poly Pomona receives $3.3 million grant from the National Science Foundation to increase the participation and advancement of women faculty in engineering and science.
2007 Enrollment in the College of Engineering exceeds 5,000 students; over 20,000 students in the university.
2008 Cal Poly Pomona Engineering celebrates 50 years of hands-on learning.
2010 Dean Edward Hohmann retires.
2011 Dr. Mahyar Amouzegar becomes dean.
Return to Remember When Index
 

Facebook Linkedin