Our Tutors and Becoming a Tutor
ARCHES employs on average 10-12 Peer Tutors each quarter. ARCHES makes every effort to match all student requests, but recognizes that we may not be able to match all requests. Our current tutors are enrolled in the following majors:
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Information Science
- Management and Human Resources
- Mechanical Engineering
- Political Science
ARCHES is looking for motivated and responsible Tutors in most academic areas. Please see the below description for more information or contact Liz Hernandez at 909-869-3270 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of the Learning Specialist, Peer Tutors will be responsible for the following:
- Meet weekly with ARCHES participants in 1-on-1 tutorial sessions throughout the quarter.
- Assist tutees with understanding the connections between class lecture, course notes, and text materials; making connections between previously understood information and new material.
- Utilize technology and traditional learning aids to help students develop effective learning techniques and study strategies.
- Help students develop effective decision making skills; encourage independent thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Help students cope with problems that may affect positive academic progress.
- Maintain accurate records of tutorial sessions and student progress.
- Attend 4-5 scheduled training and meetings throughout the quarter.
- Serve as a college role model by promoting a supportive, friendly environment for a diverse student population.
- Junior Standing (completed 90 units) in good academic standing
- Transfer students must have completed a minimum of one quarter at CPP in addition to the 90 units
- Must have a “B-” or better in courses you wish to tutor
- Strong desire to help students who are first-generation, low-income students, and/or students with disabilities.
- Must be available to tutor the entire quarter, starting the 2nd week of classes until the end of finals week.
- Ability to work a minimum 10-15 hours/week, flexible hours between Monday-Friday 8am-5pm
- Attend monthly trainings/meetings
APPLICATION: Currently ARCHES is not accepting applications except at our Tutor Recruitment Days June 10th from 11 am to 1 pm and June 11th from 1 pm to 3 pm in Building 1, Room 206.
We will be holding on the spot interviews for qualified candidates. Please bring your unofficial transcript of classes, a resume, and schedule of availability for Fall Quarter.