Cal Poly Pomona
College of Environmental Design
Climate Commitment
Donate To the Center

Minor Program

Home > Undergraduate Study > Minor Program

Program Advisor: Dr. Kyle D. Brown

The Minor Program Features Hands-on LearningThe minor in Regenerative Studies is a multidisciplinary program taught by faculty from all colleges on campus. It is designed for students majoring in all fields, including agriculture, architecture, art, business, education, engineering, humanities, landscape architecture, science, and urban and regional planning.

A minor in Regenerative Studies is a perfect complement to a bachelors of arts or science for students interested in pursuing careers in environmental fields. The courses allow students to explore regenerative theories and practices, and to develop the problem-solving skills to forge new solutions for society's problems.

Students pursuing the minor in Regenerative Studies are asked to declare the Minor by notifying the Center of their interest at We will process the minor declaration for you and it will be associated with your degree plan in BroncoDirect, usually within 5-7 business days. This will allow you to see progress toward fulfilling the minor requirements via the “Degree Progress Report” option in BroncoDirect, provide you with access to advising resources within the program, and allow you to be notified of upcoming course opportunities and special events. Students may declare the minor at any time during their undergraduate career, but are encouraged to do so early, so that they receive advising information about the program.

Any questions regarding advising or program requirements should be directed to the program advisor (

Minor Curriculum

The minor requires a total of 24 units achieved through any combination of courses offered through the Lyle Center. This means that there are no specific courses required, and the minor can be fulfilled in as few as six courses. Up to 12 units that apply towards the minor will also satisfy the University General Education Requirements.

In consultation with the program advisor, each student will select among the following courses:

General Education Courses

Course Number
Course Title (units)
G.E. Credit
Life Support Processes (4)
G.E. Area B4
Global Regenerative Systems (4)
G.E. Area D4
Shaping a Sustainable Future (4)
G.E. Area C4 or D4
Sustainable Communities (4)
G.E. Area C4 or D4
Note: Up to three of the courses listed above can be used for General Education Credit to cover the three required GE synthesis areas.

Other Courses

Course Number
Course Title (units)
RS 400* Directed Study in Regenerative Practices - (2-4)
RS 414/L** Current Applications in Regenerative Studies
RS 465 Ecological Patterns and Processes (4)
RS 499/499L*** Special Topics in Regenerative Studies

* Approval of study proposal must be granted before enrollment. Contact the program advisor for more information.
** RS 414 course numbers can be repeated for a total of 12 units. Topics offered under this course number will change quarterly. Contact the program advisor for more information.
*** RS 499 course numbers can be repeated for a total of 8 units, or more with special permission. Topics offered under this course number vary. Contact the program advisor for more information.

Graduation with the Minor Award

In order to receive the minor award upon graduation, a student must declare the minor no later than the fifth week of the quarter in which they wish to graduate, so that it can be added to the degree plan. Once this has been added, you check your progress on the “Degree Progress Report” in BroncoDirect and it will indicate whether or not you have fulfilled the requirements.  If it gives you the “Green light,” meaning that you have fulfilled the requirements, you should be all set to receive the minor designation on your transcript.  If it indicates the requirements are not fulfilled and you are uncertain as to why, please contact the program advisor ( and we will work to resolve the issue.  Students are no longer required to complete a “Request for Award of Minor” form to receive the designation. It’s important to note that minor awards cannot be made once you have received your degree, so any problems must be resolved during the quarter in which you are graduating. Upon graduation, completion of the minor will be reflected on your official transcript, but will not appear on your diploma.