- The degree program must include a minimum of 45 quarter units. At least 24 units must be taken in 500-600 level courses.
- No more than 13 units of acceptable graduate credit may be transferred from another graduate institution. No more than 13 units taken through Extended University may be used on a contract. No more than 13 units of acceptable graduate credit may be petitioned by an undergraduate student. A total limit of 13 transfer, Extended University, and/or units petitioned for graduate credit may be included on a master's contract. The stipulated time limit of 7 years applies to all of the above.
- The student must complete his program based upon the curriculum outlined below.
- The student must demonstrate a reading knowledge of a modern foreign language or proficiency in a computer programming language acceptable to the chemistry department.
- A grade point average of 3.0 (B) or better must be maintained in all upper division undergraduate and all graduate courses.
- Advancement to Candidacy must be achieved. Satisfaction of the Graduation Writing Test (GWT) requirement is necessary before advancement.
- An acceptable thesis must be completed and the necessary copies submitted in accordance with university regulations.
- An examination in defense of the thesis must be successfully completed.
- The candidate must be enrolled in the university during the quarter of graduation.
Graduate Courses Required
Seminar in Chemistry CHM 550 3.
Student must enroll for 1 unit of seminar during 3 separate quarters)
|Thesis Research in Chemistry
|Master's Degree Thesis
Courses in an area of Specialization 8
Select 6 units in an area of specialization, to be selected from:
- CHM 522, 523 (theoretical);
- CHM 541, 542, 543 (organic);
- CHM 553, 554 (physical);
- CHM 561, 562 (biochemistry);
- CHM 571, 572 (inorganic);
- CHM 581, 582, 583 (analytical).
Each of these courses requires a concurrent enrollment in 1 unit of CHM 513, Independent Study.
Approved electives: 25
Total minimum: 45
MS Chemistry Graduate Form
Signature Approval Form