Admission to the University: Apply online at http://www.csumentor.edu. Credential programs do not award a degree, so be sure to indicate that you seek a single subject credential in the appropriate field.
Take 4 prerequisite courses (prerequisites to application to credential program)
- Introduction to Contemporary Schooling (TED 405)
- Foundations of Educational Computer Literacy (GED 400/L)
- Educational Psychology (TED 406)
- Education in a Diverse Society (TED 407)
Step 3 (this step may be done simultaneously with Step 2)
Complete and submit the Program Admissions Packet (for entry into the credential program itself). For more information see http://www.csupomona.edu/~cso/admissions_packets.shtml
Take the Core courses
- Secondary Reading & Literacy (TED 432)
- Secondary Curriculum and Methods (TED 434) offered Fall only, possibly Spring if sufficient demand
- Secondary Writing and Literacy (TED 442)
- Planning and Presentation in the Secondary Classroom (TED 446)
Submit Application for Clinical Practic. For more information see: http://www.csupomona.edu/~cso/clinical_practice.shtml.
Step 5 (can be done at any time in the program)
Take two courses and satisfy the US constitution requirement
- Special Populations (TED 551 *may be taken earlier in program)
- Secondary School Health Education (KIN 442 *may be taken earlier in program)
For more information see http://www.csupomona.edu/~cso/.
Take Directed Teaching courses
Clinical Practice I
- Secondary Clinical Practice 1 (TED 435)
- Teaching Performance Assessment (TED 440)
- Seminar (TED 436)
Clinical Practice II
- Secondary Clinical Practice II (TED 437)
- Teaching Performance Assessment (TED 441)
- Seminar (TED 438)
Complete and submit Application for Preliminary Credential
You can prove subject matter competence without taking all the course on the checklist by taking the appropriate CSET exams. For more information see http://www.cset.nesinc.com/. Currently, there are three types of credentials offered. Each have their own set of authorizations (what you are deemed qualified to teach). For information about teaching authorizations, see the link below.
|College of Science|
|College of Education & Integrative Studies|
|Noyce Master Teacher Fellows Study|