Center for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching
The Center for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (CEMaST) is the vehicle through which the College of Science at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona serves the educational community. CEMaST is a collaborative effort of the College of Science and the School of Education.
Spring 2014 Newsletter
- Improve teaching and learning at all levels of science and mathematics
- Promote professional development of mathematics, science and technology educators
- Reach out to embrace the study of science and mathematics by all students, especially females and minority group members
To fulfil the purposes, CEMaST:
- Conduct workshops and conferences for teachers of science and mathematics
- Serves as a clearinghouse for information about current issues and trends in science and mathematics
- Assists schools in identifying and solving problems related to curriculam in science and mathematics
- Assists schools in identifying and solving problems related to the teaching of science and mathematics
- Conducts workshops and provides information regarding equity issues in science and mathematics
- Establish a network of mathematics educators at the University and school levels to include presentations, lectures, collegial meetings and articulation activities.
- Develop Master's Degree programs in mathematics and science education at both the elementary and secondary levels.
- Develop a series of in-service credit/non-credit programs in mathematics and science education for both the academic year and the summer session.
- Formalize research efforts in mathematics and science education.
- Create an interdisciplinary major for students interested in a science preparation program
- Develop social programs or certificate programs for classroom teachers; develop a joint program with the School of Education leading to a supervisor's credential in science and/or mathematics education.
- Develop distance learning experiences for mathematics and science students and teachers at the K-12, community college and university levels.
- Several of these projects are already planned.
If you would like CEMaST to visit your school or if you would like a consultation, please e-mail the department at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name, email, phone number and school. Also, describe what you are interested in and if you would like for us to visit your school.
Cal Poly Pomona University
3801 W. Temple Ave.
Building 4, 2-515
Pomona, CA 91768