Service Learning - Community Partners
What is Service-Learning?
- Service-learning are academic courses that provide students with structured opportunities to learn, develop, and reflect through active participation and thoughtfully-organized community involvement.
- Service-learning integrates assessment and student reflection on the interrelationships between course content and community-based learning activities.
- Conducted in the community, it meets the needs of the students, faculty, and community partners and fosters civic competence and engagement.
How do Community Partners Benefit from Service-Learning?
- Provides resources beyond funding or staffing capabilities
- Opportunity to serve as co-educators
- Builds and strengthens relationships with academic institutions
- Creates an opportunity for future trained staff members
Interested in Becoming an Official Partner:
- The Center for Community Engagement (CCE) serves to create, maintain and sustain partnerships with our local, regional and global community. We look forward to partnering with you to enhance the experience of students in their daily lives, classrooms and work environments.To initiate a partnership with the department for service-learning, the following criteria are required:
- Site must maintain a current non-profit 501c(3) status, be a government agency or school district
- Have a physical location or main office
- Provide on-site supervision of students
- Have a valid website
- Please note that once you meet the criteria, we may conduct a site visit to ensure the safety of our students. Sites should not provide opportunities that have students prophesying or promoting a particular religious doctrine or political candidate or they risk be removed as a partnership site. We also highly encourage that you provide a training or orientation to all students who choose your site for their service-learning experience.
- To become an official service-learning community partner with the Center for Community Service-Learning, please contact Christina Gonzalez-Salgado, Academic Service-Learning Coordinator, at (909) 869-4574 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Required Forms for Community Partners