What is service-learning?
- Service-learning at Cal Poly Pomona includes academic courses that use the university’s learn-by-doing philosophy to make a difference in the world around us.
- Students in these courses have structured opportunities to learn, develop and reflect through community projects that tie directly to your course instruction.
What do students get from service-learning courses?
- Critical thinking and interpersonal skills.
- Better understanding of course content.
- Academic performance and retention.
- Career development.
- Social awareness and community issues.
How do students find a service-learning course?
- Service-learning courses are officially designated with a letter "S" after the course title and number (e.g. EWS 280S). In Bronco Direct's Public Schedule of Classes, there is a drop down box entitled "Course Attribute." Select that box and search for the word "service-learning." This will then list all the courses that have an official "S" service-learning component based on the quarter you select.