Ranch

caption 1

caption 2

caption 3

History

The W. K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Center traces its origins back to 1925, when the late W. K. Kellogg, founder of the Kellogg Company in Battle Creek, Michigan, purchased land and built his ranch in Pomona. In 1949, Kellogg donated his ranch to the state of California, providing that (1) the property be used for educational purposes, and (2) the traditional Arabian horse shows, started by Kellogg in 1926 to demonstrate the beauty and versatility of the Arabian horse, be continued. The program at Cal Poly Pomona has been developed with these wishes in mind.

The Center occupied the original Kellogg stables prior to the dedication of the existing facility on April 6, 1974. It is home to approximately 85 purebred Arabian horses used in Equine Sciences’ teachings, outreach, research and internationally recognized breeding and training programs. Facilities at the center include 38 acres of pasture, three barns, foaling stalls, a breeding area, a veterinary clinic, a farrier shop, four arenas and a grandstand.

Student employees and volunteers play an important role in center activities, including the Arabian horse show, which is held on key weekdays and weekends throughout the school year. The horses, ridden and handled by Cal Poly Pomona students and staff, perform for more than 11,000 guests of all ages each year.

History [repeated for spacing purposes]

The W. K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Center traces its origins back to 1925, when the late W. K. Kellogg, founder of the Kellogg Company in Battle Creek, Michigan, purchased land and built his ranch in Pomona. In 1949, Kellogg donated his ranch to the state of California, providing that (1) the property be used for educational purposes, and (2) the traditional Arabian horse shows, started by Kellogg in 1926 to demonstrate the beauty and versatility of the Arabian horse, be continued. The program at Cal Poly Pomona has been developed with these wishes in mind.

The Center occupied the original Kellogg stables prior to the dedication of the existing facility on April 6, 1974. It is home to approximately 85 purebred Arabian horses used in Equine Sciences’ teachings, outreach, research and internationally recognized breeding and training programs. Facilities at the center include 38 acres of pasture, three barns, foaling stalls, a breeding area, a veterinary clinic, a farrier shop, four arenas and a grandstand.

Student employees and volunteers play an important role in center activities, including the Arabian horse show, which is held on key weekdays and weekends throughout the school year. The horses, ridden and handled by Cal Poly Pomona students and staff, perform for more than 11,000 guests of all ages each year.