Applying for Admission
Applying as an International Freshman
Explore and choose a major
As an undergraduate international applicant, we recommend that you choose a first and second-choice major. International students must have a declared major for a student visa to be granted, so applying as an “undeclared” student is not an option. To explore our undergraduate degree options, visit our list of Degrees and Programs. This school is authorized under Federal law to enroll nonimmigrant alien students.
Apply online by the deadline
You must apply during the California State University initial filing period (October 1 to November 30 for fall admission). Freshmen and transfer applications are accepted for fall quarter only. Transfer applications MAY be accepted for the winter and spring quarters. For more information, go to Admissions and Outreach for the filing periods and deadlines for winter and spring.
To apply online to Cal Poly Pomona, go to the CSUMentor website and go to one of following that best describes you:
- Freshmen or Transfer – if you are coming from a U.S. high school, community college, university
- Freshmen or Transfer (out of country) – if you are coming from a school from outside of the United States
Once your application is submitted, we will send you a notification by email to acknowledge its receipt. Cal Poly Pomona makes admission decisions based on self-reported information from the application and it is important that coursework including grades and test scores are entered accurately and completely.
Admitted students who intend to enroll at Cal Poly Pomona will be required to submit an official transcript to verify eligibility and high school graduation. Admission decisions may be withdrawn for students who misreported academic information or who have not met the terms of the admission offer.
Submit required tests
SAT or ACT test scores (freshman applicants only)
To be considered for admission, you must take the SAT I or ACT, preferably by the end of October but no later than December. Test scores must be received by the Office of Admissions & Outreach no later than January 31. Request that your score results be sent directly to California State Polytechnic University, Pomona (Cal Poly Pomona) from the testing agency.
- For the SAT, use Cal Poly Pomona’s institution code of 4082. If you are also applying to other CSU campuses, use the CSUMentor institution code of 3594 so any CSU campus can retrieve your score.
- For the ACT, use Cal Poly Pomona’s institution code of 0202. If you have already listed a different CSU campus as an ACT score report recipient, you can use the ACT Scores Manager on CSUMentor to release your scores to Cal Poly Pomona.
For more information on these tests, go to the College Board or ACT websites. Be advised that test availability outside of the U.S. may vary. Please plan in advance so that you can meet all Cal Poly Pomona deadlines. For more information on international testing dates visit International SAT or International ACT.
If you are applying for admission and have not completed at least three years of full-time enrollment at a high school or college where English is not the principal language of instruction, you must take the TOEFL or IELTS exam and request official scores to be mailed directly to the Office of Admissions and Outreach before admission. All scores submitted must have been earned within two years of the application date. Minimum scores are:
Submit transcripts or other documents only when requested
Once we review your application, we will notify you by email if we need any additional documents, including transcripts. Please do not send your high school or college transcript before your graduation unless requested. All official documents in languages other than English must include a certified English translation.
Additional documents may be required in certain circumstances:
- International freshmen applicants from outside of the United States may be asked to submit high school transcripts through the seventh semester (or ninth grade).
- International transfer applicants from outside of the United States may be asked to submit a transcript of the courses taken to date.
Pay the admission application fee
Your application requires a $55 fee that must be paid by the application deadline. Failure to pay the fee will result in your application to Cal Poly Pomona being canceled. For more information about fee payment, go to CSU Mentor.