First Year Experience Outcomes for Academic Colleges and Departments.
Students will demonstrate a commitment to and a responsibility for their own education.
- establish a personal roadmap to attain graduation based on their needs, interests, abilities, and goals.
- meet with their academic advisor regularly to discuss topics such as academic progress, challenges, and future plans.
- maintain continuous enrollment through graduation.
- make steady progress to meet graduation requirements.
- maintain an overall GPA of 2.2 or higher, and a major core GPA of 2.0 or higher.
- follow established Cal Poly Pomona policies, procedures, and deadlines.
- explore active learning strategies and time management techniques to find the most appropriate approaches for their success
- understand the expectations of their department, college, and instructors
Students will understand the relationship of their education to their personal and professional development.
- engage in self-assessment to explore their interests, abilities, career choices, and other goals.
- pursue a major appropriate for their interests, abilities, and goals.
- explore careers in their major and the paths to those careers.
- understand the importance of wellness and stress management.
- be able to manage their finances to stay in school and complete their degree.
- understand the role of the university in society, the history and purposes of higher education
Students will develop the skills to work cooperatively in diverse communities and build a strong support network of faculty, staff, and peers.
- interact with faculty and students in class and during office hours.
- participate in curricular and co-curricular activities with faculty, staff, and students.
- participate in service learning and other civic engagement opportunities
- understand the importance of pluralism, civility, and effective interpersonal skills in a diverse community.
Students will develop information literacy skills to enhance their academic and personal success.
- be able to find, evaluate, and use information in their academic studies and life-long learning.
- make appropriate use of technology in their academic studies and life long learning.
- be able to find and understand Cal Poly Pomona academic policies, procedures, and deadlines.
- be able to find programs, resources, and services at Cal Poly Pomona.
Students will develop an appreciation of intellectual inquiry.
- engage in intellectually challenging discussions.
- engage in exercises that develop the tools of academic study.
- develop communication, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills
Departments and Colleges will demonstrate a commitment to and a responsibility for their students’ success.
Departments and Colleges will:
- offer appropriate advising from qualified personnel.
- ensure that advising personnel participate in periodic training opportunities.
- have an array of advising tools available to students.
- offer opportunities for student-faculty and student-student interaction.
- make use of the resources and expertise in all divisions.